#January ~ take a little time for YOU during winter

I'm always on the look out for new quotes. They fascinate me. I came across this one the other day, and decided to share it today. 'Tis one of my favourites.


As a S.A.D sufferer, I find the winter months a huge struggle. Half way through January, and at long last we see the hours of daylight gradually getting longer. Waiting for the return of the longer days causes many of us extreme anxiety, and/or winter depression. Each day I notice more and more extra minutes of daylight: brings a smile to my face, I can tell you.


At this time of year, especially when the sun puts in an appearance, I make a conscious effort to get outside and top up the serotonin that my brain so lacks during winter. I ignore the wash basket, the ironing, vacuuming, and so on. Fortunately, I have two cocker spaniels: having dogs makes sure I get out and about. Except when it's raining, that is. My older dog, now 11 years old, hates going out in the rain. Something I'm rather pleased about. I avoid walking in the rain whenever possible. So, I don't feel any guilt about NOT dog-walking in rainy weather.

A sunny photo I took on a brighter day near where I live, by the sea.


I find that when I'm confined to the house during these darker and often rainy days, I play music: even when I'm writing or editing my latest WIP ~ work in progress. It helps lift my spirits. Also, I can't keep my 'dancing' feet still, which means I get a workout too. Dancing in my conservatory reminds me of my carefree days of my youth. I'm a Granny to 4 and it's nice to nip back in time to my younger days. And music does that for me. Try it! It may just do the same for you too. A couple of my favourites being Enrique Englesias and Michael Bolton.

Try writing down a few of the things that make you smile. Perhaps try to do one or more of those things each day. Play music. Do a bit of yoga. Dance. Read a good book. Bake. Walk the dog.

Take time to count your Blessings every day. It helps life feel so much better. A friendly chat with a friend or neighbour while I'm out dog walking often lifts my spirits. Or, when I hear the birdsong...always makes me smile at the world. It's often the simple things in life that make us feel our happiest. Don't you agree?

I'm a camera-snapper when I'm out and about. Living by the sea, I get immense pleasure taking photos of something that makes me smile. It really is the simple things in life that can lift our spirits and bring about a smile, or three.

Sharing my cocker spaniels enjoying a paddle at the Breakwater Beach.


I love to light scenty candles too. Heaven's scents.


Writing for children is a pure delight, and extremely fulfilling. Visit My Amazon Author page, here:


Lastly, remember to be kind to YOU. It's nice to think of ourselves sometimes, and not just others in our busy lives. Take time for YOU. I remind myself to do just that; OFTEN! Gives me the Feel Good Factor...important during winter.


Lastly...



Post a Comment